Join Our Team
Deep seeks a youth cultural organizer to support Deep Center’s effort to build community power in Chatham County, specifically among youth and young adults, ages 17-26. The Youth Community Organizer will organize and engage this population in social justice advocacy by training community members to understand and advocate for administrative and legislative policies that will benefit their communities, with a special focus on juvenile and criminal justice reform. The Youth Organizer role is a salaried full-time position (40 hours/week).
The Youth Community Organizer works closely with other program directors and Deep’s Youth Leadership Team, and will co-design, implement, and manage Deep’s on-the-ground, grassroots community advocacy plan for youth ages 17-26, as a part of Deep’s broader community organizing plan. This role will: 1) co-create, advocate for, and train communities in Deep’s policy recommendations; 2) leverage Deep youth and family stories to elevate, complicate, and enrich the conversations about what a thriving Georgia looks like; and 3) train community members on how to create and advocate for a more just and equitable Savannah.
- Co-create, implement, and manage community organizing plan, including goals and timeline for grassroots wins at the local and state levels
- Build partnerships and coalitions in existing and new strategic areas, establishing relationships with relevant political and community leaders
- Design community research and learning activities, alongside Savannah communities, to better understand and advocate for local, state, and regional reforms
- Design tools to empower and inspire community members to join and engage in advocacy
- Inspire and manage engagement of families and community partners in advocacy campaigns
- Co-develop Deep’s policy recommendation and advocacy campaigns
- Co-develop staff advocacy and organizing trainings
- Committed to social and economic justice regarding race, gender, sexuality, dis/ability, class, and age
- Familiarity and comfort with organization strategies that include both digital online and real-world
- Understanding of and proficiency in cultural organizing
- Experience organizing creative direct actions and demonstrations
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people, including activists, faith leaders, elected officials, judges, law enforcement, youth, and families
- An assets-based understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income people, especially communities of color
- Has an anti-racism lens, and an ability to talk fearlessly about the intersectionality of race, class, gender, sexuality, migration, ability, and structural injustices
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines, and handle multiple projects
- Possesses exceptionally strong oral and written communication skills, detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Has reliable transportation and is able to travel as needed on a regular basis
- Engaging public speaking and group facilitation skills, including the ability to listen and persuade
- Able to be an active participant in an open and democratic work culture
- Proficient in Google Drive, WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, as well as comfort with technology and social media platforms
- Dedicated to Deep’s mission
Deadline to apply is June 25, 2021.
To apply and see the full details of the position, including compensation and benefits, click HERE.