Join Our Team
Deep Center is seeking a Community Organizer. The Community Organizer role will support Deep Center’s effort to build community power in Savannah, engage in social justice advocacy, and train community members to understand and advocate for policies and legislation that will benefit their communities, with a special focus on juvenile and criminal justice reform. This position requires an individual who understands social, economic, and cultural systems and how historical and contemporary structural injustices adversely affect some communities while benefitting others. The ability to think strategically at the systems level to identify and articulate equitable solutions is a must.
We are seeking an individual who possesses:
- A commitment to social and economic justice regarding race, gender, sexuality, dis/ability, class, and age
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people, including activists, faith leaders, elected officials, judges, law enforcement, youth, and families
- An assets-based understanding of the daily challenges faced by low-income people, especially communities of color
- Understanding of and proficiency in cultural organizing
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines, and handle multiple projects
An individual with an understanding of the U.S. South, and who comprehends the strategic importance of advancing parallel efforts that simultaneously 1) support visionary transformational social justice movements and 2) advance legislative and policy victories that help our communities right now.
Deadline to apply is Sunday, May 17, 2020.
Check out all the details here.